TAKING BACK NAPS!
The past week and a half have been awful in nap-land. Zane started the whole ordeal by starting to take 20-30 minute naps. This is common when a developmental leap is reached (him walking) however, it leads to a very cranky and very tired baby.
Lily soon followed the new trend because, even though they are in different rooms, with white-noise machines blaring, they still hear each other (twin magic).
Today, I said enough!, my sanity threatening to leaving me. Lily is an excellent self-soother so I said, "I'm sorry honey, you're just going to have to figure this one out, while I work on your brother", and laid her down for her nap, she quickly fell asleep. Zane fought with all his might to not go down, but eventually mommy won and he drifted off.
I laid on the ground next to his crib with a monitor on Lily and the work began. 15 minutes into his nap he woke up, I put him back down. At 30 minutes he woke up, I put him back down. At this time I saw Lily's monitor start flashing red lights. I sighed, relieved myself of maternal guilt and thought "you can do it babe". The lights flared for 10 minutes and then disappeared. Zane tried to get up once more at the 1 hour mark, and I put him back down. At 1 hr and 30 minutes (his standard nap length), he let out a sigh, stretched his little baby body, sat up and smiled at me. I proudly twirled him out of his crib, and he laughed instead of screamed for the first time since this madness began.
Lily slept for a total of 2 hours (her standard nap length) and joyfully woke up ready to play. The late afternoon and evening were peaceful and now both babies are zonked out for the night. The afternoon nap battle was won today, but the war is far from over. It will take at least a week to reprogram my willful children.
No comments:
Post a Comment