Halloween night (Friday). Zane has been sick all week and two trips to the pedi's office showed that he had bronchiolitis and pneumonia. We were sent home with well wishes and breathing treatments. Friday after we got home, I gave Zane his breathing treatment and he went to bed. Over the monitor I could hear him whining and softly crying. It was breaking my heart but I knew he needed sleep. Then the whining stopped, so I went down to check on him. He was lying face up in his crib with his eyes fixed straight ahead. I picked him up and he didn't take a breath for 20 seconds. So I slapped him on his back as hard as I could and he coughed and took a deep raspy breath. I ran upstairs and told Jason to hold him as I grabbed my keys and a quick bag of stuff because I was going to the ER. Jason and I both tried to get his attention but he was just staring off into space and not responding he was also pretty limp. I rushed to the ER where they triaged him immediately. His pulse-ox had dropped to 86 so they gave him breathing treatments with oxygen. They deep suctioned his nose (awful) and put in an IV line to start fluids (he hadn't eaten much in the past 3 days and was dehydrated). The attending decided to admit him and we got to his room at 2:30am. The new xrays showed a bad case of pneumonia in his left lung and part of his right lung had collapsed. Additionally, his lungs were just full of mucus. A nasal test showed that he had RSV that had probably caused the bronchiolitis and pneumonia. He was in bad shape. He and I stayed in the hospital for a week. The whole time the poor thing had breathing treatments every 3-4 hours, deep suctioning (they put a tube up your nose and down your throat to suck out the mucus and phlegm), IV antibiotics and a whole lot of torturous things done to him. Jason left for Miami Saturday morning. Sadly, Lily has started to show symptoms of RSV as well. She's coughing, not wanting to eat and has lots of snot pouring out her nose. We can just all hope that she doesn't get as bad as Zane b/c she doesn't have the fat reserve to withstand what Zane did.
We're glad to be home and I can't wait until this virus runs it's course. It's a nasty nasty beast. I hate daycare.
5 comments:
Hey Val, I'm so sorry, but glad to hear Zane is doing better. I know its scary, but thank God he's doing much better now. :) Such precious and adorable babies. :)
*Aunt Mary had sent me your blog address
Oh, Val, my heart is breaking for the scare I know you went through. I'm so glad the worst is over and I hope he and Lily recover quickly. You're going to need a vacation!
yes i want one! Most people go to Miami for vacation so I guess I can count the move as one??
:)
Val and Jason,
I'm so glad that Zane is doing better and that Lily is fine. What a scary time for you! My prayers are with the babies for a speedy recovery.
Karen Bourque
Val and Jason,
I'm so glad that Zane is doing better and that Lily is fine. What a scary time for you! My prayers are with the babies for a speedy recovery.
Karen Bourque
Post a Comment